Friday, April 17, 2009

Out of her shell

This morning Penny took great strides as she began to step out of her shell. As you probably remember Penny is a small beagle that is a bit on the shy side. Today she really let me know the she really is all beagle.

When I walked her this morning a few rabbits ran across our path and the first thing she wanted to do was to chase after them. I didn't let her. I didn't want to worry about what could happen if she was off the leash, the danger to her and also the possible danger she could present. As soon as she realized she couldn't run after the rabbits she began to bey. It was a beautiful sound! She took a stance that was bold. She raised her head high in the air. She leaned forward, wrinkled her forehead, and let her ears move slightly forward as well. She was no longer the timid little dog that I described yesterday in my post. Now she was a small dog full of determination and attitude. She refused to give up on the idea of chasing those rabbits until I was able to remove her from the area, much like Old Dan after he killed the mountain lion in the book Where the Red Fern Grows.

Tomorrow is adoption day at the Brown County Humane Society from 10 am to 2 pm. I hope that we will be able to say "goodbye" to some of our current dogs and send them on to loving forever homes.

If you are from the are and are interested in any of these dogs or would just like to look around feel free to stop by. The link to the Brown County Humane Society is on the left hand side of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment